ver June 4
Call for Participants to
2017 Human Science Summer School
August 28 - September 7, 2017, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
The Human Science International Course in the Graduate School of Design, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan, invites Graduate School students studying outside Japan to the 2017 Human Science Summer School. Those of you eligible and interested in the education of our International Course are encouraged to apply. We are looking for candidates with an excellent academic performance and a strong desire to pursue a Doctoral degree at our Human Science Department. We offer financial support and course credits, as well as course education and laboratory experience.
The Human Science Summer School provides a program consisting of 15 lectures of 90 minutes in combination with explanations of laboratory equipment and general research facilities. Lecture content is based on subjects from the curriculum of the Human Science International Course.
Summer School Program
Number of invited participants
Eligibility of applicants
August 28 (Mon) - September 7 (Thu), 2017
arrival on August 25 (Fri), and departure on September 8 (Fri)
Two or three Graduate School students studying outside Japan.
(1) Graduate School students of universities/institutes outside Japan.
(2) Those who are interested in education and research of our Human Science International Course.
(3) Those with sufficient English capability to follow 15 lectures and do laboratory work.
(4) Those who can get a recommendation from their current supervisor.
(1) 15 lectures of 90 minutes each;
(2) Explanations and demonstrations of research laboratories and facilities under supervision of faculty members of our Human Science International Course.
We will certify 2 credits to those who come from universities with which our Graduate School or Kyushu University has a mutual student exchange program and complete 15 lectures. The list of our partner universities is here.
Full support is provided for (1) an economy-class air ticket to and from Japan, (2) accommodation, and (3) meals. The total amount may vary among participants, taking account of the participants’ total amount of air fares, our budget, and whether you have support from your university or not.
You will stay at a dormitory room with a kitchenette and free LAN.
- 25 Aug (Fri): arrival at Fukuoka airport
- 26, 27 Aug (Sat, Sun): orientation and sightseeing
- 28 Aug (Mon): administration, laboratory tour, welcome party
- 29 Aug – 1 Sep (Tue-Fri): lectures and laboratory work
- 2, 3 Sep (Sat, Sun): bus tour and sightseeing
- 4, 5 Sep (Mon, Tue): lectures and laboratory work
- 6 Sep (Wed): presentation preparation, free time
- 7 Sep (Thu): final presentations and farewell event
- 9 Sep (Fri): check-out and departure from Fukuoka.
Submission & questions
(1) an application form (Excel file)
(2) a recommendation letter from your supervisor
(3) transcript of your academic record (BA and MA, if available)
(4) a letter of motivation in English, >800 words, describing why you are interested in joining the Summer School transcript of your academic record (BA and MA, if available)
2 June (Mon), 2017, 17:00 JST (Japan Standard Time). Applications sent after the deadline or any other format than .pdf will not be considered.
-The participants will be selected on basis of academic records and supervisor recommendation(s);
We give priority to Master students and encourage faculty staff to apply. Please note that Undergraduate or Doctoral students cannot apply. There is no age limit.
We will inform you through an acceptance/rejection notification within 1 month after the document submission deadline.
Please send the above 4 application documents (in .pdf) by e-mail to
Ass. Prof. Gerard Remijn at